Today we meet the lovely Pixie Bennett, mommy to two gorgeous little boys who were born 13 months apart! Some of you may recognise her from Idols where she made her signing debut on our South African tv screens. While singing is still very much on the cards for this gorgeous woman, she has taken this time out to concentrate on being mommy! This super mom is all about super foods and i love her passion for living a healthy life!
“I’m passionate about healing Superfoods and inspired by my family ! A singer, performer and business owner turned Studying Stay-at-home-mom , I was jolted into motherhood with two kiddo’s back to back with a 13 month age gap and no extended family support! While pregnant with my second, I knew the only way I was going to get through this smiling was if I got physically stronger and ate food that didn’t leave me with energy dips. A friend introduced me to raw Superfood chocolates that were ridiculously easy to make and I was sold on how tasty they were and how much clean energy I had! I started to learn more about what Superfoods were and how eating RAW was more than just carrot sticks and humus! I began experimenting with rich and colourful raw breakfasts and Superfood treats and found loads of inspiration on Instagram from like-minded woman. And I felt and looked GREAT !! Getting your kids to eat nutrient dense snacks and foods is a daily challenge. Getting healthy food into them when they are teething or sick is a hair pulling experience, but I swear by superfoods because you can offer tasty treats or sneak them into dishes like a stealthy mamma ninja!” They often cost more, but they stretch far. Quality not quantity! So what does RAW mean to me? BEAUTIFUL natural decadence that is a feast for the eyes, that nourishes my family and heals it with every bite!
RAW superfood rice crispie squares
½ Cup pitted dates
1.5 Cups Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Raw Cacao powder
1/2 cup Cacao nibs
1/2 cup Desiccated Coconut
1/4 cup Goji berries
1 Tbs Lucumo Powder ( Optional )
2 Tbs Honey ( sub Maple syrup for vegans )
1 tsp Vanilla extract/Vanilla powder
1) Soak ½ Cup pitted dates in 1 Tbs water for 10 minutes to soften and blend.
2) Melt 1.5 cups coconut oil in a double boiler. I use a pot in a pan and fill the pan with 2cm of water
3) Add dates to the oil together with 1/2 cup raw cacao powder, 1/2 cup fine cacao nibs ( Pulse them in blender if the brand you get has large nibs) , 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, 1/4 cup goji berries, a pinch of Himalayan rock salt, 2 Tbs honey, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 Tbs Lucumo powder.
4) Melt down taking care to not boil the chocolate mixture so as to preserve its raw enzymes.
5) Pour the chocolate into a non-stick baking dish, spreading out all the ingredients evenly to each corner.
6) Sprinkle 1 cup of puffed brown rice over the top and pat it down to just get the choc mix sticking to the rice.
7) Then blend 1/2 cup of pecans and sprinkle over the rice. Give it a light pat too so the pieces stick to the rice and choc. It will set in layers !
8) Put in the freezer for 2-4 hours until set, cut into squares and then devour!!
Refined Sugar, Dairy, Gluten FREE
Vegetarian, RAW, Paleo FRIENDLY
RICH IN Antioxidants, Magnesium, Sulfur, Anti- bacterial and Anti- fungal properties. GREAT FOR healthy skin, nails, hair, mood elevation, energy.
ASK YOUR LOCAL HEALTH SHOP! Click this link to find out about some Superfoods options!
If you are still wanting something healthy to make for dinner check out this delicious toddler friendly Moussaka by our featured chef Nelleke Elston.