Today I turn 33. Yes you heard me:.33!! I thought I would be having a mild panic attack as soon as I opened my eyes this morning but surprisingly im still breathing like a normal person. Well, so far so good.
Besides the fact that my darling husband is not here to share the day with me (second year in a row:. Whatevs!!!) I’m feeling pretty good about where I am in my life right now. I feel like I know myself better than ever and that I’m only just starting to really get to the good stuff. You know, the marrow and all that jaz:.
I also know that I have so much to be grateful for and so much to still look forward to.
So without further ado here are 33 thoughts, one for every year I’ve been on the planet.
- I have the best family. A one-of-a-kind one at that.
- God is so good to me. Every single day.
- My children are so cute it’s a constant temptation not to eat them. SERIOUSLY.
- I’m hating my hair. I’m so over the ombre, think it time I go back to being a blonde. I think it always suited me better anyway? BUT I’ve just started trying out the babyliss hair curler which my girlfriends got me for my birthday!!! I’m going to be making some serious waves from now on!
- My husband blows my mind. Everyday and in EVERY way. Man I got lucky with this one.
- I’m grateful for health and a body that works well. While it may not be at its prime, it’s a body with four limbs and a heart and lungs and that’s something pretty amazing right?
- Tea is still one of my favorite things in the whole world and has the power to make anything better.
- Wine still is and always will be my drink of choice.
- I’m daydreaming about for our trip to Amsterdam in October. It will be our first trip overseas together since our kids arrived. I’m not gonna know what’s hit me right?
- I don’t know why but don’t watch much TV anymore. Is it just me or has TV gotten really boring?
- I can’t wait to finally renovate our kitchen. I also can’t believe how bloody expensive everything is.
- I’ve realized I don’t hate winter as much as I thought I did. I really wish I had a fireplace though!
- I know they say summer bodies are made in the winter but chocolate and cake is just too good. And mexican and burgers and pizza and and:..
- Brody is the cutest two-year old in the world. FACT. How did I make that??
- I can’t wait to meet my new little niece. I’m secretly hoping she arrives today, on my birthday. How amazing will that be, to have a little life come into the world on the same day that I did 33 years ago?
- There are way too many squirrels in Cape Town.
- There are not enough albino squirrels in Cape Town.
- I’m realizing more and more that it’s never too late to study or learn something new.
- There are some funny people in this world. And I love it!!
- I love the lessons God is teaching me.
- Gratitude is the most amazing feeling and I never want to lose it.
- I love rusks with my tea. At least two with every cup.
- I may be 33 but I feel 23. Does that even count or matter?
- I will never stop loving the sound of the rain.
- Something that makes me so so happy is seeing other people succeed against the odds and to see that despite what their life has offered them they have worked hard to move up. There’s a guys at my gym who has been cleaning there since I can remember. His name is George and he leaves at 4am to get to work every morning. I liked him the minute I met him when he picked up my water bottle for me after it fell off the treadmill. I have spoken to him almost every time I’ve gone to the gym and every day my intentions have been to go to management and rave about what a great job this man is doing, Not only that, but his beautiful way with people and dedication to his job stood out for me in a big way. Yesterday I noticed he was wasn’t wearing a cleaning uniform, he was wearing a white collard shirt. My friend George had been promoted! I cried with him in the middle of my run. I don’t know why but I feel like I witnessed his journey every day and I was there to witness his pride in being promoted. If it wasn’t for the fact that I was sweaty and gross I may have hugged the man to death! These are the stories I want to hear more of. More than that, these are the stories I want to be apart of. I want to start to see AND make change happen. I can’t stop thinking about my friend George.
- My parents (and that includes my in-laws) are so good to me and I’m beyond blessed to have such solid examples of marriage.
- I still desperately want to have another child. Boy, girl, WHATEVER. I just want another little person to love. I will never regret the child I do have, but I will always ALWAYS regret the child I didn’t have. Read that again Brendon. As many times as you need to for it to sink in. Do you want to live with that kind of regret?? DO YOU???
- I cannot believe how my Noah Ryder is growing up. I love watching him learn and discover how things work. I love watching his face when he finally GETS something and overcomes his fears. Again, HOW DID I MAKE THAT???
- Friendship is a beautiful thing don’t you think? I’m simply blown away by the people I have the honor of knowing and doing life with.
- I’m excited to see where this blogging journey takes me. I’ve been quite undecided about whether I want to take it seriously enough to make something of it. After much though and encouragement from friends and family I have decided to take the leap and give it a proper go! Meeting some of the cool chicks the huge blogging community Cape Town has to offer, no doubt opened my eyes to all the huge possibilities. So thanks to all you lovely people.
- My baby starts playschool next year. SAY WHAT?
- El burro has to be like the best restaurant in cape town. I could live on their pulled pork tacos and ceviche. If you haven’t been there, please change that. I will be eating from there at least once a week from now on. That was a serious thought by the way, it too good not to mention here.
- I don’t think I have ever been this happy in all my life. I’m the most content ive ever been. I am so excited about life and all its glorious possibilities. I, my friends, and fellow journey companions am without a doubt, one of the luckiest girls in the world.
So here’s to friends, family, beautiful children, marriage, skateboarding, pulled pork tacos, albino squirrels, words on a page, new discoveries, rain drops on my window, passionate love-making, blonde hair, overseas adventures with my love, exposed brick and butlers sinks, living in the moment, learning new things, blogging to my heart’s content and being part of the change. Here’s to the next 33 years on this awesome life adventure.
Are you up for the ride?