With my last post breaking record for most views in a day, I realized there must be a reason so many people loved reading what my Top 40 fun things do in Cape Town with kids are. I think it’s because they love to hear from a trusted source, from someone’s own personal experience and someone who is utterly in love with their city!
So it got me thinking, maybe people would find it helpful if I put together a list of cool things they could do WITHOUT the kids. We all know how important it is to put time aside to be with our partners and friends doing some cool ADULT stuff.
So plan ahead, get those babysitters booked (or rope in the grandparents like we do) and go and have some fun with the special person in your life or with your group of friends you barely get time to see anymore.
Here are 20 totally fun and DELICIOUS things to do in Cape Town WITHOUT the kids!
- Some fun and laughs with Mark Lottering. The man of comedy himself will without a doubt be something worth seeing. Venue: The Academia, 409 Imam Haron Road, Lansdowne, Cape Town Time: 8pm to 9.15pm Cost: R175 . R195
- The Eat, Paint, Love festival. This is happening this Saturday which will showcase a live collaboration of art, music and food. Venue: The Palms, 145 Sir Lowry Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town Time: 6pm . late Cost: R 40 . R 60
- The Gin and Tonic Festival. Gin has become the latest craze with people going CA-RAZY for the stuff and what a perfect opportunity to learn more about all the delicious cocktails you could make. Leave the kids at home or with friends, get a cab and be a little naughty why don’t you! Venue: Mason’s Press. 7 Ravenscraig Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town. Time: 11am . 4pm Tel: 071 641 63 27 Website: ginandtonicfestival.co.za.
- Goldfish Submerged Sundays at Shimmey Beach Club. This weekly event has become one of Cape Town’s most popular parties and sells out fast. I’m going for the first time this Sunday with my deejay hubster who will be opening for them (see how I threw that in there?) and I cant wait to leave the kids with the grandparents and shake my hips. In a way that won’t embarrass myself of course. We don’t need to draw attention to the fact that i don’t get out much anymore!
- Josie Field and Laurie Levine Live. Check out their cover of Counting StarsThis duo is just insane and I’m super keen to get to this! If it’s Blues infused music you are after, this is for you!! WHERE: Alexander Bar Upstairs, 76 Strand St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town Time: 7pm Cost: R 90 online | R 100 at the door Tel: 021 300 1088
- A sunset/sunrise hike up the mountain! There are smaller climbs like Lions head so don’t be put off and yes, this is for the couples who enjoy a good sweat, but even for those who don’t normally gravitate towards physical activity, I challenge you. Go and see this beautiful city from the most gorgeous view-point in the world. Getting some air in those lungs together can do the world of good for your relationship.
- Supping through the Waterfront canals. I’ve been wanting to do this for ages. Yes another physical one but its all in aid of working off all the food you will be eating! I love the thought of doing this and not worrying about the kids. To be able to laugh and talk and just have some innocent fun.
- A breakfast at Hemelhvijs in Waterkant street. This is one of the most beautiful restaurants for breakfast and their food is to die for!! Other amazing breakfast spots that you can make the most of without kids : The Coffee Bloc at Buitenverwachting, Spasie (an amazing new underground restaurant), Starlings Cafe in Belvedere, Four and twenty, Olympia Cafe, Raiths (becoming my favourite) and Bistro 1682. These are just some of my favourites!
- First Thursdays. As the name states, this fun event takes place in the first Thursday of every month. You can explore art galleries and cultural attractions in Cape Town and indulge in some of the best street foo Cape Town has to offer. If my calculations are correct, the next one should take place in the 7th of Jan 2016.
- The Galileo Open Air Cinema at the waterfront or Kirstenbosch Gardens. I think there may even be a venue in Constantia and the Winelands. Go check out their website for more information about shows and times! What a wonderful way to spend an evening under the stars!
- Sip cocktails at one of Cape towns most renowned Cocktail bars! To name a few: Cafe Caprice, The Raddison, The Grand Cafe, Alba Lounge,
Orphanage Cocktail Emporium, Bascule Bar, HQ, The Rose Bar and The Tjing Tjing bar. There is something so exciting about putting on a cute summer dress and sitting at a bar after a day in the sun. It’s the perfect sexy date or fun night out with friends. Just make sure you order some tapas or light snacks from the bar menu to line your stomach. And call Uber to take care of your driving for the night!
- A day at one of our perfect beaches. Yes i know right? What will you even do without having to watch the kids? I have some ideas…. Read a book, talk to your other half about your dreams for 2016, listen to music through your headphones, swim, lie in one place long enough to tan! Better yet, do nothing and sleep! With so many gorgeous beaches to choose from i doubt you will need my help but il list a few for those not familiar with Cape Town. Camps Bay, Llandudno, Hout Bay , Kommetjie, Glen Cairn, Fish Hoek, Boulders Beach. It’s even a cool idea to find a more secluded beach where you wouldn’t normally be able to get to with the kids!
- Tandem Paragliding off devils peak!! I HAVE to do this before I die. What an exhilarating thing to do together right? Book here. Or don’t, the choice is yours.
- Go on a Cape Sidecar adventure! Hire a Sidecar and cruise around Cape Town for the Day doing all the bits and bobs you don’t normally get to do with kids. Make stops along the way for lunch and shopping and enjoy the city from a different angle.
- Go for dinner at Harbour House or any one of my favourite upmarket dinner spots: Haiku, La Colombe, The Greenhouse, Bistro 1682 or for the best Italian you have ever tasted on our shores, Il Leone Mastrantonio. If you are not wanting to pay for your food with your kidneys and are looking for a more festive night out try El Burro, Hudson’s, Lefty’s Diner (for their chicken waffles), The Bombay bicycle, The Dogs Bollocks, Cheynes, Tigers Milk, Jakes on Summerly, The Food Barn or The south China Dim Sum Bar. You can all thank me later when you have come out of your food coma’s.
- A romantic picnic in the Winelands. SO many options, SO much beauty and SO desperately needed. Click here for your go to guide.
- Wine tasting at Buitenvewachting or any farm for that matter.
- Surf lessons at Muizenberg beach with Gary’s Surf School. You can hire everything you need and spend a day in the water catching waves, Ir trying to at least.
- Get cultural and visit one of our many Art Galleries. Click here for a comprehensive list. There is something for all types!
- His and Hers massages to get rid of all the years tension. My favourite spa’s are : Angsana Spa at the Vineyard, The 12 Apostles Spa and Rouge Day spa.
- If you are wanting a good razzle on the dance floor join Hello Techno at ERA club for one last throw down with none other than Dutch Techno Wizard EGBERT for a 3 hour LIVE performance! Click here for more details. Nothing like going back in time to when we were young and free! If his performance last hear was anything to go by, this is going to be off the charts.
I hope I’ve inspired you to make the effort to do some GROWN UP stuff these holidays and to spend some time having fun together. After all its so important to remember who we were to each other before the kids came along in all their time consuming, utterly relentless chaos.
Go on, you deserve a break!